Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Use your Restaurant Skill Everywhere!!!

I'm a Restaurant Guy.

At times, that means I spend more time at work than I do at home. As young managers and operators the emphasis on being available for the store is huge. This emphasis is a large part of what we do. We have a duty to our Restaurants and that duty can call at any hour. I personally have noticed that the water heater has never went out on my shift. It only goes out on my day off and usually when I have something else to do. But Duty Calls, so I go.

The truth is that this sense of duty is just part of the balance that is needed to be successful in this industry. Success breads from a foundation of Faith and Family first. I would like to challenge you to look at those that you view as successful in your industry and see where their priorities lie. The challenges of life almost always bring children, spouses and such. To keep these things together will require Faith and a strong bond of Family. You will find they will be needed for your Restaurant Success as well.

So...How to you break in to those other areas? May I suggest that you take your aptitude for sociability, love of food, and ability to control chaos and project yourself into areas that your family is most interested.

My ability to cook in a Kitchen has worked great for me in many church or school function. If you ever want to see people stare at you with amazement then act on your restaurant ability in a church kitchen. they will stare at you like you are Celebrity Chef while you simply chop an onion. It feels pretty cool. :)

My ability to inventory and order as well as operate a cash register serves me well in many arenas of my daughter's cheerleader fundraisers. The long days operating a concession stand at the NFL Football Stadium, NASCAR Race Track etc... are much easier on a person who is used to being on their feet for long hours slinging Beer and Nachos.

My ability to lead different groups of people of all ages and sizes has served me on weekend camping trips and mini mission trips with groups from church and school with my children. Again, watch that PTA parent look at you like the pied piper as you corral that group of elementary kids like a professional teacher.

Leadership cannot be denied in any arena. I have sat on Church Boards and Social Commitees and been a contributor into the building of buildings and held titles of all kinds for yearly terms. I have been a substitute Sunday School Teacher and also sat on planning committees.

The Demands on this job are many, but seeking out an opportunity to give back will help establish your balance and establish you as someone above the fray professionally. You should not act on an impulse or not be real about what you can and cannot do. Do not make a committment you cannot fulfill, but make sure to take a weekend and go camping with your children's boy scout group every now and then. (Offer to cook breakfast, It will be fun)

Balance can be your ticket to that next level of success in a restaurant career. Use your Restaurant Skill in more places than just in your restaurant and I Promise it will serve you well.

1 comment: